Food Standards Agency (FSA) has revealed that washing chicken before it is cooked can prove to be dangerous. A research by the agency said that Campylobacter found in contaminated chicken could cause serious health issues in humans and it can get more serious in children under five.

Washing chicken before cooking is not good

Washing chicken before cooking is not good

The health watchdog has warned people to stop washing chicken before they are cooked. Several cooks have said that they wash chicken before cooking it as part of the cooking process. However, the practice seems to be dangerous, according to FSA.

Campylobacter mixes with the water used to wash chicken and droplets splashing on the skin might cause them to stay and enter the body and cause serious effects including vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, irritable bowel syndrome, and more. In some cases it might even lead to death, warns FSA.

About 280,000 people are affected by food poisoning in the UK every year and four out of five cases are due to consuming of contaminated chicken.

FSA’s statement read, “While most cases result in people suffering from abdominal pain, severe diarrhoea and vomiting, some cases can lead to more significant health problems. In more serious situations, it can lead to irritable bowel syndrome, reactive arthritis and Guillain-Barré syndrome, a serious condition of the nervous system.”

“While most cases result in people suffering from abdominal pain, severe diarrhoea and vomiting, some cases can lead to more significant health problems”.

Professionals who handle poultry are given instructions to wear gloves and other recommended safety wear to prevent contamination from spreading. However, when chicken is handled at home and restaurant kitchens, the recommended safety measures are not followed which leads to spreading of the contamination creating dangerous health issues.

Campylobacter contamination is also caused through cross-contamination resulting from using the same vessels and spatula for handling raw chicken which is already contaminated for other dishes.